

## GODORT Legislation Committee, Virtual Meeting Minutes

10/25/16

### **Present:**

Hallie Pritchett, Kate Tallman, Frank Lester, Simon Healey, Marie Concannon  
Ambrogino Guisti, Stephen Woods, Bernadine Abbott, Samantha Hager

Missing committee member: Lissa Snyders. Hallie will try to track her down, otherwise we will appoint someone else at Midwinter or keep the position open

### **Next virtual meeting:**

January 12, 2017 at 3pm (EST)

### **Midwinter meeting schedule:**

Saturday 1:00-2:30. Legislation I - Joint meeting with the Committee on Legislation

Sunday 10-11:30. Legislation II - Discussion of issues relating to government information and legislation. Work on resolutions affecting government information librarians.

### **1. Memorial Resolution for John Schuler**

Bernadine can help draft the resolution, additional contributors will be recruited via GovDocL

**Action:** Hallie will put out a general request on GovDocL for contributors, draft language should be sent to Hallie by **December 1<sup>st</sup>**.

### **2. Preservation Resolution**

The Preservation Working Group is crafting a resolution to ask Congress to appropriate money for the preservation and assistance from GPO in cataloguing and inventorying the collections of libraries that want to preserve federal Government Documents

This would be part of the National Plan/FIPNet by authorizing GPO to give funding to libraries (right now this is not allowed)

Bernadine has talked with Jim Bradley (Deputy Public Printer) & others at GPO

They do not yet have a draft, and they are asking Legislation Committee to send some suggested language

There is not much more that the Legislation Committee can do until there is a draft. We would like to see what the Preservation working group has to say

The original deadline is a little short (Draft by early November)

**Action:** Work on suggested language and send to Hallie and the committee by **December 1<sup>st</sup>**. Hallie will compile and we can go from there. By our January 12th conference call, if we don't already have concrete language, we can hash out a draft for discussion at Midwinter.

### **3. GINI Government Information Next Initiative**

Stephen provided some background on this initiative:

During his tenure as GODORT chair, every committee was asked to write a 5 year plan. GODORT was starting a 4 phased implementation plan and worked through Phase I last

year. During Phase II this year, they are breaking up these 5 year plans/goals to see how they fit with the GODORT mission statement and themes  
Legislation Committee should make sure that this 5 year plan is where we want to head. It is not fixed in stone and the whole process is fluid.

#### Discussion:

It is a very ambitious plan and is a great starting point. We should spend more time discussing and identifying any possible modifications. The last Committee had very little time to discuss and contribute any solid, actionable steps.

Stephen noted that part of the implementation for GODORT was to take into account both what people *wanted*, and what was *realistic*.

We should consider viewing this document as a framework for discussion or a 'map' for the areas in which we could work

Advocacy was identified as one of the most important/core things that GODORT members are looking for help with. Perhaps we need to look at how the Legislation Committee is structured? We may require more resources to move forward

How do we define advocacy?

- Advocacy happens across the board and reaches beyond GODORT
- Is the Legislation Committee leading the charge, or guiding our members?
- We need to define advocacy as it relates to the Legislation Committee and our role as a GODORT committee
- There are different ways that advocacy is done, and there are different groups that need help both as groups and as individuals
- There is a fine line between advocacy and (1)-260 1 Tf 1.5 0 Td [(T)1ceTrne adv0 Td ((0 Td

Chat transcript 10-25

amantha Hager (tech support): I am here for audio checks if you would like to test your mic before the meeting

Samantha Hager (tech support): Hi Simon Do you have a mic that you would like to check?

Samantha Hager (tech support): Just make sure that the microphone icon is green on the menu bar

Simon Healey: I'm waiting for my supervisor to get the "miked" headphones ... but I can hear you now ...

Simon Healey: Yes we can ...

Ambrogino: Hi all, I do not have a mic, so I will communicate by type.

GODORT Legislation Committee - chat transcript from the October 25th, 2016 conference call via Adobe Connect

Samantha Hager (tech support): How many members are there on the committee?

Kate Tallman: will do!

Kate Tallman: :)

Simon Healey: Yep

Hallie Pritchett: There are 7 committee members plus our ALA Councilor

Simon Healey: Yes I can

Bernadine Abbott Hoduski: yes

Kate Tallman: Am back... hope adobe stops crashing :)

Ambrogino: Correct!

Ambrogino: Yes

Kate Tallman: Yup!

Ambrogino: I did not know him

Bernadine Abbott Hoduski: i will work on it

Frank Lester: Hello, this is Frank. I don't have a headset or mic capability. I apologize for my tardiness

Kate Tallman: I didn't know John well, unfortunately. But I have at least one person who was close with him that I could suggest as an editor

Kate Tallman: I will!

Kate Tallman: Could you repeat the date again? :)

Stephen Woods: December 1st

Marie: Hello

Ambrogino: Yes

Marie: I saw it

Chat transcript 10-25

Stephen Woods: can you put that link in chat

Kate Tallman: Poked around, yes

Simon Healey: battled with Google to finally get to see the docs

Marie: Is this meeting microphone enabled?

Hallie Pritchett: <https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6lqMoM6qY7cdI82S0U0Uy1I1SWM>

Bernadine Abbott Hoduski: I do not have a mike. We are starting to work on resolution. We want Congress to appropriate money.

Bernadine Abbott Hoduski: for preservation and assistance from GPO in cataloging and inventorying the collections of libraries that want to preserve their docs

Samantha Hager (tech support): Marie - check to see if the mic icon in the menu bar is green -- if it is grey, click on the arrow to activate your mic

Bernadine Abbott Hoduski: it would be part of national plan but it would authorize GPO to give funding to libraries. Right now that is not allowed.

Bernadine Abbott Hoduski: I have talked with deputy public printer and other staff and they are supportive

Kate Tallman: They usually attend our meetings as well, so I'm sure they heard it discussed

Bernadine Abbott Hoduski: jim bradley dept pp

Marie: Who are you asking this question to?

Marie: ok

Bernadine Abbott Hoduski: we do not have a draft. I have asked working group to send suggested language

Bernadine Abbott Hoduski: we would like to have suggested language from leg com members

Bernadine Abbott Hoduski: we want it for midwinter and hope to have language by early november

Bernadine Abbott Hoduski: i can send something out next week as an early draft

Bernadine Abbott Hoduski: as long as we start the discussion and have a draft at midwinter. we montana librarians are working on a letter to Senator tester on funding that will go out later this year. I am working with his chief of staff as is susanne

Marie: My congressional senator has a leadership position in the JCP but the election is going to be a tough one

Kate Tallman: Agreed!

Frank Lester: I agree as well

Marie: The upcoming elections may change things

Kate Tallman: I would be happy to sit down during a separate time at midwinter to hash out the details. And marie is SO RIGHT

Bernadine Abbott Hoduski: discussion in congress on appropriations starts in the

spring but may not be finished until late in the year. it will depend on who is on the appropriations committee

Frank Lester: Agree

Ambrogino: Yes

Marie: yes

Kate Tallman: yes

Bernadine Abbott Hoduski: yes

Stephen Woods: Saturday 1:00-: 2:30. Legislation I - Joint meeting with the Committee on Legislation

Stephen Woods: Sunday 10-: 30-11:30. Legislation II - Discussion of issues relating to government information and legislation. Work on resolutions affecting government information librarians.

Bernadine Abbott Hoduski: ok

Simon Healey: Yes

Kate Tallman: yup

Ambrogino: Yes

Frank Lester: Yes

Marie: sure

Marie: no

Ambrogino: No

Marie: Hi guys I am going to log off and back on in order to enable my mic - be right back!

Bernadine Abbott Hoduski: no sometimes the email is incorrect and in the past i called the member to verify

Frank Lester: I've not

Frank Lester: Yes

Marie: yes I see it now

Kate Tallman: I've got it up

Frank Lester: I was not involved enough in last year's work to have any insight

Bernadine Abbott Hoduski: john reviewed a lot of docs produced from godort resolutions and other input

Marie: It is ambitious, agreed

Marie: Maybe separate the aspects that seem basic from the more advanced elements

Marie: Do the basics first.

Frank Lester: Don't know if overly ambitious but I would like to see broken down to more specific actionable items -- the goals are very generalized

Chat transcript 10-25

Marie: Yes, actionable

Frank Lester: Exactly -- agree with what's being said

Marie: I like Stephen's note about "reality check"

Frank Lester: Are these goals realistic?

Kate Tallman: I think he saw it as aspirational, for sure

Kate Tallman: he did :)

Frank Lester: I agree -- aspirational is good

Frank Lester: as a framework for discussion

Simon Healey: I agree with Frank ...

Bernadine Abbott Hoduski: many of the statements that we wrote were to be implemented by other units of godort

Marie: I'd like to think in terms of making a "map" for the areas in which we could choose to work

Frank Lester: I like Marie's idea

Marie: :)

Marie: These conference calls on Adobe are great!

Marie: Interesting

Frank Lester: yes

Bernadine Abbott Hoduski: we need to separate advocacy within ala for non godort members and advocacy of congress and other gov units

Marie: Would we be helping individuals, librarians and libraries do advocacy of their own?

Marie: Congress many times really just wants to hear from their own constituents

Simon Healey: advocacy to fed agencies as well - they drive what / how GPO produce the docs we house

Stephen Woods: <https://psu.box.com/s/0ev5p3nhqixder4dqkg9es7ml1g878ag>

Marie: I am thinking that all advocacy boils down to advocating for more support

Chat transcript 10-25

Frank Lester: yes

Stephen Woods: kinda ... leg comm is not godort

Stephen Woods: yes

Marie: I am uncomfortable with using the Leg Com to advocate to my own boss

Marie: I can do that w/o the Leg Com

Kate Tallman: so we need to decide who we are serving

Kate Tallman: other GODORT committees?

Bernadine Abbott Hoduski: godort has always provided its members with the information and draft letters to be used with their bosses

Marie: My past director was really sensitive to being lobbied by his own people, I'm just sayin...

Marie: I think the common ground is that we would all like more support from government, more grant money etc.

Kate Tallman: we need to find a way to ask them!

Stephen Woods: do a webinar

Marie: I like the idea of asking GODORT membership what advocacy they want

Stephen Woods: yup

Frank Lester: yes

Stephen Woods: what they want and what is realistic

Kate Tallman: yes

Frank Lester: right

Simon Healey: I was thinking that as well ... did Steering get any data on what support members wanted

Bernadine Abbott Hoduski: in Montana we are asking former dep libraries to sign on to our letter and looking for support from library directors and their boards

Kate Tallman: YES! Thank you Hallie!!

Marie: Yes thanks Hallie

Frank Lester: Yes... absolutely

Kate Tallman: We're here to help :)

Stephen Woods: wonderful idea

Kate Tallman: great!

Ambrogino: Yes

Frank Lester: That sounds like a plan

Marie: Yes

Chat transcript 10-25

Simon Healey: Yes

Marie: Some librarians feel they cannot advocate to government officials as an employee because of HR rules at their own institutions

Stephen Woods: [http://wikis.ala.org/godort/index.php/Main\\_Page](http://wikis.ala.org/godort/index.php/Main_Page)

Marie: It would be interesting to find out what options are

Stephen Woods: Recording of Jan 29, 2016 Chat about GODORT and advocacy with the Chair of Legislation and GODORT Councilor

Simon Healey: Question for Stephen - could GODORT clear any conflicts with Leg II ??

Kate Tallman: got it

Ambrogino: OK

Marie: thanks!

Kate Tallman: perfect!

Frank Lester: Yes

Marie: Looking forward to it!

Simon Healey: Yes

Kate Tallman: I will get these to you soon... thanks! samantha is also saving the chat for us

Marie: Thanks Kate for taking minutes

Frank Lester: Ys thank you

Samantha (tech support): Certainly

Stephen Woods: bye

Frank Lester: Thank you!!!

Kate Tallman: Thanks all!

Ambrogino: Thanks

Marie: Bye